Monday, January 13, 2014

Week 12

Hello!
Another beautiful day in Arizona. It's a high of 71 here - woot! I love January. I've been hearing about the cold weather...just know I feel bad for you!
What a week! This email might end up being a novel. So funny story. Or at least now it's funny. Tuesday night, we were driving to an appointment. I was driving (going the speed limit, a little less actually) and all of a sudden a little dog runs out right in front of me and...I hit it. Like square on. We did a little "thump, thump" and I saw it in the rear view mirror laying in the road, but I kept going. I know it was bad, but I was pretty sure it was dead and it was a busy road and I felt awful. After my companion and I stopped screaming bloody murder, I was petrified and she just started laughing her head off. Seriously?? Things are just attracted to me when I drive. It's ridiculous. To make it worse, when we got out and checked the car, the bumper was cracked in half. Whooga. I really didn't know what to do but to laugh and cry a little bit. The thing is...there are hundreds of little dogs running around all the time. Anyways, after I collected myself again, we continued teaching. Actually, we passed a girl sitting on the side of the road. I told my companion we were going to go talk to her. It was a little odd to be sitting on the road at this time and she looked a little down. So we pulled over and after talking to her for a few minutes, we got talking about mutual. She is 17. Mutual happened to be that night at that exact time and we were a block away from the church. She said she wanted to go, so we walked her to the church. As soon as she walked in the building she said "I really like it here. It's so beautiful and feels so nice." I love the spirit! We kept giving her a church tour. The church is in a big U shape. We had gone through the chapel and decided to sit down. We talked a little bit about Heavenly Father. She just opened up to us. She said we were the only ones that could really explain things to her. She was like "I really want to start coming here and I want you to come talk to my mom. She's been wanting to come back to church but we can't find one that we like and I really like this one. It just feel so good." We were so excited. As we kept going around the church, we introduced her to the young women (who were all very friendly and welcoming) and as we made the circle complete, bishop walked out and introduced himself. This was a golden opportunity. She was such a miracle. The best part was at the end. As we completed our church tour I realized that the farther we got in the church, the happier she was. She came in kind of sober, but by the time we left she was talking, laughing, and smiling. It was so awesome. The look on their face when they feel the spirit is the greatest thing ever. That night, my companion told our zone leaders about the dog incident. They are some of the biggest goofs ever and I have been mercilessly teased ever since. Not only are there bad jokes and snarky comments, but yesterday we walk out to find dog food on our car. They think they're so clever...it really quite funny though. They've come up with some great jokes and Sister Acosta, our roommate, gave me the nickname "Hush puppy." Oh the things that entertain missionaries. I think my favorite reaction was Elder Turner who is over the vehicles in the mission. We had car inspections on Thursday and obviously I had to tell him why the bumper was broken. He just started laughing too! Here I was super embarrassed and everyone just laughs. I hope you all got a chuckle out of it too.
 
Thursday we had our zone conference. It was so amazing! We have awesome leaders. We talked a lot about sustaining leaders and companions and the standard of excellence. My favorite part was the end though. President Toone got up and said he had a huge promise for us. He said everyone in the mission has a family waiting for them. As we strive to live the standard of excellence, we will find the family the Lord has prepared for us. What?! I'm so excited to find my family! It was pretty powerful.
 
Friday was a little bit of a downer. We had a set lesson to teach Jasmine (the girl on the road) and her family. After weekly planning we did an hour companion study strictly role playing their lesson. We were determined to do it well. I have to say, it was definitely the most spiritual study we've ever had. I felt like I knew them! We really knew their needs before the lesson. It was amazing to see how much the Lord let us see. We were so excited for this lesson. We had some of the best members in the ward coming out with us and we just knew they were going to be baptized. A half hour before the lesson our members cancelled. We quick got a backup and headed to their house. As we're getting out of the car, they opened their door and we saw the mom look at us and then run in the back like she was trying to get away before we saw her. We went up and asked for them anyway. She had her kids come to the door and tell us she wasn't home. Hiding is never the answer. We were so disappointed. Mostly because we knew what the Lord wanted to give them. We were prepared! But they didn't get to hear it. Ugh. Agency is frustrating sometimes. We haven't given up on them yet. After that experience, we received a text that Elder Holland got called on another assignment and couldn't make it. Double wammy. haha. At this point we just laughed and went to go teach some more. We learned a lot that day.
 
So even though Elder Holland wasn't there we had Elder Wright from the 70. He gave an awesome address as well as all of the other mission presidents and their wives. It was very edifying. He talked a lot about converting ourselves and strengthening our testimonies. My favorite part, however, was when he talked about his son's last letter before he came home from his mission. He said "I'm really going to miss these people and this place, but most of all, I'm going to miss representing the Savior every day." That hit me hard. I've only been out for a couple months, but I'm already going to miss it when it's over. There is nothing like putting His name on my shoulder and acting as he would every single day. It really put it into perspective of how sacred the calling is to be a missionary. We each have a calling and a purpose in this life. I thank all of you for supporting me and allowing me to answer to this one. I know that this is the greatest work that we can do in this life. As I learn new Christlike attributes and come to know my Savior greater, I can think of each one of you and see these same attributes in you. I cannot express how blessed I feel to be a part of a family that is so centered on Christ and doing his work. I used to hate being the youngest and following in everyone's footsteps. But I cannot thank you enough for allowing me to follow in each one of your footsteps now as I draw closer to the Savior. I know that each one of you have already taken this path, and I look up to you, and I thank you for rooting me along as I start the journey. I love you all! You are fabulous missionaries. Have an amazing week - I know I will!
 
Con carino y amor,
Hermana Homer

No comments:

Post a Comment